Music Canada’s Music Licensing Primer

Music Canada, the trade association which “represents Canada’s major [record] labels”, has a very handy “licensing primer” on its website, which includes a nice little table summarizing (with links) which collectives you need to obtain licenses from in order to obtain authorization to do certain things with “song” (e.g., talk to AVLA if you need permission to reproduce a sound recording, talk to CMRRA if you need permission to reproduce a composition).

Subscribe and stay updated
Receive our latest blog posts by email.
Bob Tarantino

About Bob Tarantino

Bob Tarantino is Counsel at Dentons Canada LLP and focuses his practice on the interface between the entertainment industries and intellectual property law, with an emphasis on film and television production, financing, licensing, distribution, and IP acquisition and protection. His clients range from artists and independent producers to Canadian distributors and foreign studios and financiers at every stage of the creative process, from development to delivery and exploitation.

Full bio